Skip to main content

The Bingley sisters of Netherfield

Lydia Bennet's Online Diary.
At this time of the year I always read Pride and Prejudice and I thought it would be fun to see what Lydia is thinking about all the goings on at Longbourn. Lydia's online diary starts just before Mr Bingley arrives and finishes where my novel, Lydia Bennet's Story, begins.

Tuesday, October 27th 1801

Our acquaintance with the ladies of Netherfield continues in a very poor way. We have returned their visit and mama expressed her pleasure at the park and house. I agree with Elizabeth - Miss Bingley and Mrs Hurst are supercilious in their treatment of everybody. I saw them sneering when my mother talked of Aunt and Uncle Gardiner in Gracechurch Street. Kitty and I were not addressed with more than a perfunctory nod in our direction and were not included in any conversation. Every time I opened my mouth to speak, Miss Bingley gave me such a withering glance, that I promptly closed it again. To Jane however, this does not seem to matter. To her, the Bingley sisters are charm and elegance personified. I am not impressed by them and will not trouble to write of them in future!
Lydia Bennet