Skip to main content

Gossip from the Ball at Meryton

Lydia Bennet's Online Diary.
At this time of the year I always read Pride and Prejudice and I thought it would be fun to see what Lydia is thinking about all the goings on at Longbourn. Lydia's online diary starts just before Mr Bingley arrives and finishes where my novel, Lydia Bennet's Story, begins.

Tuesday, October 20th

Charlotte and Maria Lucas called this morning to have over the events of last evening. When pressed by mama, Charlotte related the fact that she had heard Bingley declare Jane as the prettiest girl in the room. For all that Charlotte affects to be Lizzy’s best friend, she can be monstrous unkind. I think she was more than a little piqued that Bingley had only danced with her once and she was wicked to remind Lizzy that Mr Darcy only thought her tolerable. Lizzy declared she would never dance with him, even if he should ask her. Well done Lizzy!

After exhausting all talk of the Meryton ball, a decision to have a walk out was agreed upon. Kitty and I declined, (we were too fagged for walking) but my sister Mary declared at once that she knew better and abused us for waiting on useless young men. I must admit, though this was hotly denied, I was keen to see if our beaux would call.

“I expect they are dawdling out there in the lane now,” I said to Kitty after my sisters had left, “trying to pluck up the courage to walk up the drive. I bet if we venture out we will bump into them.”

“No doubt of it at all,” Kitty agreed, “though it’s well past noon, I should have thought they might have called by now. Do not depend upon them making an appearance.”

“I assure you, Kitty,” I cried, “I am not waiting on anyone. If they were to call, I should say I am out and I’ve a mind to say I am relieved they have chosen to stay away, the gentlemen in question are clearly as spineless as they look.”

A knock on the front door just two minutes later had us running to the window in high expectation, though it was only our Aunt Philips calling to see our mother. As my sister moved to sit down, still craning her neck to keep her eye on the drive, she completely missed her seat and fell in a heap to the floor. How we laughed!

Lydia Bennet

Lydia and Kitty by Jane Odiwe, Settee by Constance Hill