Skip to main content

Lydia and Kitty step out into Meryton

Lydia Bennet's Online Diary.
At this time of the year I always read Pride and Prejudice and I thought it would be fun to see what Lydia is thinking about all the goings on at Longbourn. Lydia's online diary starts just before Mr Bingley arrives and finishes where my novel, Lydia Bennet's Story, begins.


Friday, October 9th 1801

Walked into Meryton with Kitty but I have abandoned any hope of persuading papa that I need some extra allowance for the wonderful confection of straw and coquelicot ribbons that begs me to buy it from the window of Brown’s. Still, at least mama has finally persuaded him that Kitty and I may be of the party that attends the Assembly ball on Monday and we are beside ourselves with rapture. How I love to dance! Mr Swift, my dancing master, always used to praise me highly, saying I had the prettiest pirouette he had ever seen. I think it very unfair of papa to have dismissed him without so much as a by your leave. It was not his fault that he fell violently in love with me - after all I am an irresistible creature!

Saw some pretty muslins in the mercer’s - if only papa would let us buy a length or two for a new gown for the ball - I will ask mother to speak to him directly.
Kitty and I were greatly admired as we walked through the town. We met with Mr Wootton, Mr Howett, Mr Blount and Mr Edwards, all jolly fellows who have promised to be at the ball.

“Why, is it not the younger Miss Bennets?” Mr Edwards declared, crossing the street. “My how they have grown! How do you do ladies? Pray, do spare us a moment of your time. Is the rumour that you are to be at the next assembly true or is someone dallying with our dearest hopes and desires?”

“You know well enough it is true, Mr Edwards,” I scolded, “as I know full well that you spoke to my father yesterday and that he can be the only source of your intelligence. Kitty and I will be gracing the next ball, 'tis true and if you petition us politely, we may consider a pledge to dance.”

Kitty blushed red and poked me in the ribs at this retort but undeterred I continued to abuse Mr Edwards and his friends for a half hour complete. Judging by their avid attention, they were clearly enjoying my ribaldry and forthwith begged for our hands for the first four dances!

Mr Bingley had better take care! - He may not get his chance to dance with Longbourn’s finest executors of the ‘Boulanger’!
Mr Edwards is one of the most handsome men I have ever set eyes on!

Lydia Bennet