Skip to main content

Mr Collins arrives from Hunsford

Lydia Bennet's Online Diary.
At this time of the year I always read Pride and Prejudice and I thought it would be fun to see what Lydia is thinking about all the goings on at Longbourn. Lydia's online diary starts just before Mr Bingley arrives and finishes where my novel, Lydia Bennet's Story, begins.


Monday, November 16th 1801

Our cousin, Mr Collins, a hideously dull and ugly clergyman, arrived today. He is twenty five, but indeed looks much older and every time he opens his mouth, it is to deliver a sermon, or at least that is how it sounds to my ears. Mama declared privately that he is here to look over his possessions and chattels, for she says he will turn us all out as soon as my father is pronounced dead, as he is to inherit our Longbourn estate. I have taken steps to ensure that our paths will not cross very often. After dinner, it transpired that HE DOES NOT READ NOVELS and read from a set of Fordyce’s Sermons to my incredulous horror! I know I was more than a little impolite when I interrupted him, and though my sisters protested against it, I could see perfectly clearly how relieved they were that he did not carry on.
I announced my intention of visiting Aunt Philips on the morrow to enquire after Mr Denny and find out when he is due back from town. I do not think I shall have time to call on my dear friend Isabella, nor do I wish to inflict my earnest relation on her good person.
It has been noted that Mr Collins stares at Jane with a great deal of admiration.

Lydia Bennet

Photo: Guy Henry playing an excellent Mr Collins in the hilarious Lost in Austen

Illustration of the Bennet family by Hugh Thomson