Skip to main content

Lydia nurses her Pride!

Lydia Bennet's Online Diary.
At this time of the year I always read Pride and Prejudice and I thought it would be fun to see what Lydia is thinking about all the goings on at Longbourn. Lydia's online diary starts just before Mr Bingley arrives and finishes where my novel, Lydia Bennet's Story, begins.

Monday, February 15th, 1802

Two events have occurred today to vex me beyond endurance.
I am a laughing stock, only to be pitied and I am more convinced than ever that I will die an old maid!
The first was a letter from my friend Isabella extolling the virtues and pleasures of love and affairs of the heart, which by all accounts she is surrounded as she has gone to Bath. I have received more descriptions of lovers than I ever want to read again and I expect she will receive an offer any day now. I am happy for her but it is so unfair! Other people have all the luck! If I should have the chance to go to Bath, I am sure I would find myself a husband but papa won’t even take me as far as St. Albans!!!
The other circumstance, which has been my great misfortune to have bestowed upon me, is the discovery by Kitty, (who I swear will never let it lie) of the identity of my sweet valentine. To my great shame he is no admirer of any consequence and Kitty plagues me with his name every time we cross paths. I have taken to avoiding her, I am heartily sick of her laughing about my ‘beau’ as she calls him. Oh! That I had destroyed the letter on first receiving it and never told her a word about the whole episode.
The perpetrator deserves to have his ears boxed for the presumption and I do not know if he will ever be forgiven. I have a good mind to tell papa! For no officer, captain or other acquaintance was the author of such romantic verse, it was Ned our stableboy, who copied out the verse he found in a pocket book! Rebecca, our sweet maid, is put out as she was not the recipient and I think it will be a while before he is allowed to chase her around the kitchen. I cannot begin to wonder what he meant by it!!

Lydia Bennet