Skip to main content

News from Elizabeth and the pleasures of Meryton with all its diversions!

Lydia Bennet's Online Diary.
At this time of the year I always read Pride and Prejudice and I thought it would be fun to see what Lydia is thinking about all the goings on at Longbourn. Lydia's online diary starts just before Mr Bingley arrives and finishes where my novel, Lydia Bennet's Story, begins.


Thursday, 11th March, 1802

Mama received news from Lizzy this morning - despite the fact that she writes with compassion for Charlotte and with derision of our cousin, it has nevertheless set mama off again into a diatribe of what might have been. Lizzy’s account of their comfortable surroundings and description of a tour of the house and garden had mama exclaiming how some people who ought to be satisfied with one house agreeably fitted up, should not be so anxious to snatch another from under the very noses of its rightful owners. However, she took some comfort from the fact that the house is small, and was forced to laugh out loud at Lizzy’s revelation that Mr Collins is a great gardner and is encouraged by his new wife to be in his garden at every opportunity - thus reaping the benefits of exercise for good health - and as I see it, keeping out of her way.

Cousin Collins is very pleased with his patroness, he and Charlotte dine at Rosings twice a week and are never allowed to walk home.
Kitty has gone to stay with a friend in Hatfield for a fortnight. Selina Deane is one of the dullest girls I know. I cannot think how Kitty will stomach her company for all that time - she will miss the party on Saturday and will not have the pleasure of meeting Harriet. I am sure if I were her, I would have declined Selina’s invite in favour of accompanying my sister who is far more fun!

I persuaded mama that we might go shopping in Meryton this morning as Mrs Brown has just received some new muslins. She bought white muslin for Jane and Lizzy, and I found the prettiest material with pink flowers just perfect for a spring gown. It will do very nicely for Harriet's reception if I can have it made up in time. I hope papa will not notice all my mother's purchases for he is sure to make her send them back. My new bonnet of white persian trimmed with an ostrich feather looked so well on my head in the milliner's that my mother did not have the heart to refuse me - and I insisted that she treat herself to the blue with matching feathers, so we are both well satisfied. I have hidden my hat for the time being because if Kitty gets wind of it I shall be plagued to death with her protestations.
Saw several very handsome officers, who for their cheeky impudence flashed many smiles and winks in my direction. That Mr Wickham is most blatant in his admiration! I cannot blame any of them, if I say so myself, the sunshine and spring air has put quite a bloom in my cheeks!

Lydia Bennet

Engraving of Westerham, Kent. Westerham is near to Jane Austen's Hunsford