Wednesday, April 22, 2009

'The Duchess' Costumes at Chatsworth!

I thought you might like to see some of the photos I took at Chatsworth of the exhibition they have on about Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire. As well as personal items and letters there are costumes from the film 'The Duchess' which stars Keira Knightley as Georgiana, Ralph Fiennes as the Duke and Dominic Cooper who we've seen before as Mr Willoughby playing Georgiana's lover, Charles Grey. I thought the costumes in this film were particularly fabulous - the designer Michael O'Connor did a wonderful job! They had a little section about the filming of Pride and Prejudice with some photographs and the bust of Mr Darcy is also displayed - the nearest I got to finding him, I'm afraid. Still, best of all I got to see my husband don a wig in their dressing up room which is really fun. You can try on wigs and costumes whatever your age - I think he looks rather gorgeous in it!




8 comments:

Charleybrown said...

Thanks for sharing! I adore the cream silk dress!!!

Jane Odiwe said...

They were gorgeous - it must have been sometheing else to actually wear them, though I'm not sure I'd really enjoy the restrictions of the corsetry they had back then!

Jane Odiwe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Blarney Girl said...

Your husband's such a good sport!!

Gorgeous pics of the mens and women's clothing.

Jane Odiwe said...

Mmm ..he doesn't know this picture is posted here yet!

Sue Wilkes said...

Love the frocks and male attire! Those headless dummies always make me think of the guillotine, though! It is years since I visited Chatsworth.

Jane Odiwe said...

That comment made me laugh-I've never thought of those dummies like that before, but now you've said it, I shall never look at them in the same way again!

Katherine said...

While her beauty and charisma made her name, her extravagant tastes and appetite for gambling and love made her infamous. The Duchess costumes. I just finished reading the biography about Georgiana, the Duchess of Devonshire. Nice costumes. http://dressycostumes.com/