Monday, November 9, 2009

Willoughby's Return Competition - Win a Painting of Jane and Cassandra

Sense and Sensibility centres on the story of two sisters, Elinor and Marianne Dashwood. They appear at first to be opposites - Elinor is rational and sensible and Marianne seems to think and act only on her impulsive feelings and highly charged emotions, though by the end of the book we have witnessed quite a crossover in the way that both girls behave and interact with the world.

Jane Austen and her sister were very close. There were just under a couple of years between them, and we know that they spent much of their time together as they grew up, writing daily letters whenever they were apart. From family recollections we are given the impression that Cassandra, Jane's older sister, was the more level-headed, and from her letters it appears that Jane looked to Cassandra for guidance and advice. I'm not the first to wonder if Jane drew on her own experiences with her sister Cassandra when drafting her story. Who knows? Perhaps Elinor and Marianne represent aspects of Jane's own personality, though I'm sure it's not as simple as that. Jane was too great a writer to simply base her characters on people she knew - her imagination was too good!

Margaret, the youngest, is too young to become a heroine in Jane Austen's book, though I have made her one in Willoughby's Return. We are told she is similarly romantic in Sense and Sensibility, and I really enjoyed writing her story.

I've been enjoying my blog tour - click here to read a review of Willoghby's Return from Books Like Breathing.

To celebrate the book's publication I have a competition today to win the painting above of Jane and Cassandra walking in the snow around Steventon. To enter all you have to do is tell me what you enjoyed about the relationship between Elinor and Marianne in Sense and Sensibility. Click here to enter The competition is open worldwide and closes on November 14th. Winner announced on Monday, November 16th!

Tomorrow I shall be a guest on Jane Austen's World, so I hope you'll join me there!

11 comments:

Laura's Reviews said...

I myself have two sisters (and a brother) so I greatly enjoy reading the relationship between the three sisters in Sense and Sensibility. I can identify with Elinor, the eldest, that tries to take care of her sisters and make sure Marianne does not get hurt too badly. Marianne doesn't always appreciate sisterly advice, but when times are tough, it is her sister Elinor who is there to help her and to listen.

Jane Odiwe said...

Thank you for your comment Laura. I also am the eldest of three and I know exactly what you are saying. I still feel responsible for my sister and brother even though we are all very grown up!

Alexa Adams said...

I love the portrayal of sisters in Austen. Like Elinor, I sometimes feel as if I, more than my mother, bear the responsibility of mentoring and guiding my sister (fortunately for me, she's far less impulsive than Marianne). There is something incredibly unique about the bond between sisters and what Austen brings to the forefront in Sense & Sensibility is that a good sister will always be your most stalwart advocate, ready to sympathize with you on a level that few others in your life will ever be able to achieve.

Quick aside - I just finished Willoughby's Return last night. Thank you for another heartfelt and compassionate Austen sequel! I will be recording my thoughts about the book this morning on my blog.

Jane Odiwe said...

Thank you Alexa for your comments - I am thrilled that you enjoyed Willoughby's Return. I shall look out for your blogpost!

Mer said...

I love how their relationship as sisters ultimately supercedes all other loyalties (possibly even marriage, as it can be argued that their spouses were two of the weaker Austen heroes). I always bought into the sibling relationships far more than the romantic relationships in most Jane Austen books, actually!

Jane Odiwe said...

That's a really good point, Mer! Jane writes so brilliantly on relationships within the family, doesn't she? I would think she felt more comfortable on writing about siblings than romance!

Melissa said...

I enjoy seeing how supportive Elinor and Marianne are of each other. Although Elinor seems to give more support to Marianne in the book, I think that Marianne is there for Elinor as soon as she realizes what Elinor has suffered through her silence regarding Edward.

Jane Odiwe said...

Yes, I enjoy seeing how their characters develop through the book. As you say Marianne becomes less selfish when she realises that Elinor has suffered just as much.

Milka said...

I enjoy the fact that Elinor is the "smart one" and Marianne is the one who is living through her emotions. They are so different but in the end they are the same. Normally Elinor is the one supporting Marianne but in the book we can see that also Marianne can be supportive towards her sister.

CAM Creations said...

I absolutely love this painting.

Jane Odiwe said...

Thank you Milka and Cam creations for your comments!