Monday, October 4, 2010

A Regency Promenade in Bath at the Jane Austen Festival

I thought you might like to see some photos that were taken of the Jane Austen Festival in Bath. At the start of the festival there is a grand Regency parade where huge numbers of people turn out in their favourite period dress. There were some spectacular outfits, gorgeous bonnets and hats, not to mention accessories. I met fellow author Victoria Connelly at the Pump Rooms for the start of the parade, and it was also lovely to meet up with Isa from Malaga who often stops by to visit my blog. Poor Isa discovered she had mumps when she got home - I hope you're on the mend now!
What made it extra special was to see so many gentleman attired, and didn't they all look splendid! The promenaders take a tour through the town walking up Milsom Street, George Street, and onto Gay Street, which leads to the Circus, and the Royal Crescent beyond. If you'd like to see more photos and some more about my day with Victoria Connelly, head on over to Austen Authors.Here we are at the end of the walk at the Royal Crescent.





8 comments:

Raquel said...

Dear Jane,

may I take the Mr. Darcy photo to send everybody, here in you blog?

thank you, raquel

Jane Odiwe said...

Yes, of course! There is another one on the Historical Romance UK Blog, and another on the Austen Authors site later!

Lori said...

Beautiful pictures, Jane! Looks like there was a terrific turnout and I love seeing the dresses and uniforms.

Thanks for sharing!

~Lori

Jane Odiwe said...

Lori, Everyone looked wonderful - so many people turned out. I'll be posting more pictures soon!

Alexa Adams said...

I've watched videos of the promenades from past years and so want to go someday. I wonder, did you have any suppress the urge to don a muslin gown and spencer of your own? I think I would have been very tempted.

Jane Odiwe said...

I love the idea of dressing up, but the truth is I want to look like Lizzy Bennet, not Mrs Bennet or Mrs Jennings, which I fear would be the natural comparison.

I have been known to don a muslin gown on occasion (for Regency dancing) - and it was remarked that I had a likeness to Lady Russell the last time, which I think is at least a compliment, and all one can hope for at my stage in life!

Kath said...

Fantastic pictures and so good to see it was a good day for the parade. I so want to do this one year. I've been to the Festival a couple of times now but have never yet plunged into a sprig of muslin and tied my bonnet ribbons. Must do that.

Jane Odiwe said...

Next year Kath! I'll be looking out for you in your sprigged muslin! Now will that be coquelicot ribbons with your bonnet?