Skip to main content

Mr Bingley returns to Netherfield

Lydia Bennet's Online Diary.
At this time of the year I always read Pride and Prejudice and I thought it would be fun to see what Lydia is thinking about all the goings on at Longbourn. Lydia's online diary starts just before Mr Bingley arrives and finishes where my novel, Lydia Bennet's Story, begins.


Sunday, October 18th

I have spent the best part of the day making over my old gown with some trimmings from Hill’s workbox. It is so unfair! Jane and Lizzy have had new muslins made up into the prettiest gowns you ever saw - a tamboured muslin for Jane and a sweet spot for Lizzy. I am heartily sick of being the youngest, even Kitty and Mary will see a new gown before I do.

We have heard that Mr Bingley has returned from London with a party of just six, his five sisters and a cousin and that they will be attending the ball tomorrow night.

“I do hope we shall be introduced to Mr Bingley’s sisters,” said Jane. “They must be very handsome if their brother’s looks are a recommendation.”

“It does not always follow,” said Lizzy, “that good looks are a natural consequence of comely parents, or indeed, that whole families of brothers and sisters are blessed with the fortune of a fair countenance. I have often observed that boys favour their mothers and girls are bequeathed their father’s likeness more often than not, so I would hesitate to pronounce the beauty of the Bingley sisters, Jane, unless you have had the good fortune to run into Mr Bingley’s very handsome father!”

“Oh, Lizzy,” Jane cried, “you are too brutal, I am sure they will be most elegant and whatever they may lack in your ideal of physical attraction, I am sure will be more than made up for in the refinement of their conduct, their dress and deportment. I am determined to like them. It will be pleasant to have other female company, other girls to converse with and share confidences. We have so few acquaintances that it will be felicitous for us all.”

“I sincerely hope, dearest Jane,” Lizzy replied, “that they answer all your expectations, as I would not have you disappointed for all the world.”

So ended their musings on the Bingley sisters. I daresay they will be ill favoured, conceited and dressed from head to foot in silk sarcenet. No doubt they will turn up their noses at our country style!

Lydia Bennet