Skip to main content

Mrs Bennet is vexed!

Lydia Bennet's Online Diary.
At this time of the year I always read Pride and Prejudice and I thought it would be fun to see what Lydia is thinking about all the goings on at Longbourn. Lydia's online diary starts just before Mr Bingley arrives and finishes where my novel, Lydia Bennet's Story, begins.

Friday, October 2nd, 1801

I found this picture in mama's monthly museum. Is it not the most divine image you have ever seen? It is a picture of Madame Recamier and the entry explains the reason for her picture being published:

The portrait of this celebrated lady is given more to gratify the curiosity of our fair readers, than for any peculiar excellence the original may possess. We have heard her much praised as a beauty; and for taste in dress, she stands unrivalled in her own country.

She does indeed appear to be quite lovely, though I am sure if I was married to a rich banker it would not be so very difficult to look as fetching. I rather think the lady has a striking resemblance to myself, (whatever Kitty says against the comparison) and I am determined to dress my hair in just the same fashion for the ball, which I still hope to attend. However, my dreams for dancing are not yet firm-my mother is in ill humour because papa insists that he will not call on Mr Bingley. I do not know what to make of papa at times, for I am sure he just teases mama to vex her and that we all suffer as a result is the only outcome! Kitty's prayers have become very fervent at night-I am sure of the two of us she has a better chance of having them answered, so I encourage her as much as I can to ask if we may please, please, please, go to the Ball!
The cut of Madame Recamier's gown is most becoming and I think if I adopt a similar style my own charms will be much enhanced-I shall set to with the scissors on my best muslin immediately!

If I cannot go to the ball, I shall just die!!!