Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Willoughby's Return - Competition no. 3 Win a Sense and Sensibility Soundtrack!

I loved this film version of Sense and Sensibility and the music by Patrick Doyle is beautiful! In celebration of day 3 of the publication of Willoughby's Return I am offering this brand new CD of the soundtrack.
Willoughby and Marianne share a love of music when they first meet in Sense and Sensibility. After he breaks her heart there is a very poignant passage where Marianne tries to overcome her feelings by playing again - but it will not do.

After dinner she would try her pianoforte. She went to it; but the music on which her eye first rested was an opera, procured for her by Willoughby, containing some of their favourite duets, and bearing on its outward leaf her own name in his hand writing. That would not do. She shook her head, put the music aside, and, after running over the keys for a minute complained of feebleness in her fingers, and closed the instrument again; declaring, however, with firmness as she did so, that she should in future practise much.

If you'd like a chance to win the CD I'd like to know if you have a special love song or a special piece of music that you associate with someone - it could be a first love, a boyfriend, your Mum or Dad, a special friend. You don't have to name names, but I'd love to know about your piece of special music or song choice and why it's so dear to your heart!

Just leave a comment below! The competition is open worldwide and closes on November 14th. The winner will be announced on November 16th.

Yesterday I had the chance to chat with Jaime on her blog Book Nerd Extraordinaire - Click here to read - US and Canada have a chance to win a copy of Willoughby's Return!

Finally, I wanted to post one of my favourite pieces of music - Minor Swing by Django Reinhardt and Stephan Grapelli. My lovely Uncle Gerry passed away recently and whenever I hear this music I associate it with him and the lovely parties we used to have. He was a picture book uncle with a curly moustache - he could do magic tricks and play the ukelele and when I was a little girl he always had time to twirl you up into the air. The smell of oil paint was always in the house - he was a wonderful artist and he inspired me very much!

Minor Swing




Sweet Georgia Brown

12 comments:

Laura Hartness said...

One song that's special to me is "My Girl" from the 1960s. I've danced with my father many times to that one. It will always remind me of him.

For my husband, half the songs on Amy Grant's "Heart in Motion" album are associated to our early days as a couple in the early 90s. As a 14 year-old married couple, we also now enjoy "Hey You It's Me" by Michael W Smith, which reminds us that when the dust of life clears, it's still just us, the same people we were 20 years ago when we met.

Thanks for the chance to enter!

Laura Hartness
CalicoCritic at gmail dot com

http://CalicoCritic.blogspot.com

Jane Odiwe said...

Laura, how lovely! Music is such a big part of our lives, isn't it?

My lovely uncle passed away recently - whenever I hear Django Reinhardt I think of him an remeber the lovely parties we used to have!

Jaime said...

Somewhere over the Rainbow (the reggae version, can't remember the artist) always makes me think of my daughter and her battle to survive a massive head injury!

By the way, while I am reading Willoughby's Return I keep seeing Kate Winslet as Marianne and Emma Thompson as Elinor. Sigh, love that movie and am loving your book! Thanks for the great guest post yesterday! Loved it!

Jaime

Mer said...

Such a great idea. "Moonlight Serenade" is my special song--I grew up on the Big Band music of my grandparents' generation. When I found someone who appreciated it as much as I did, I jumped--and "Moonlight Serenade" became our wedding song. It was especially poignant to have my grandfather there watching us dance to one of his old favorites.

Jane Odiwe said...

Jaime, thank you so much for sharing your story and for having me along on your blog! Somewhere over the Rainbow is a special song - I remeber when my father took me to see the Wizard of Oz - he'd loved the film as a boy, and I've loved it ever since - I didn't know there was a reggae version - must check it out!
Thanks for your lovely comments about my book!

Jane Odiwe said...

Mer,

That's such a romantic story! Oh, I can feel a book coming on! Thanks for sharing that with us all.

etirv said...

When we relocated from Hawaii to Baltimore once upon a time, the radio stations kept playing Michael Jackson's Man in the Mirror and that became my favorite MJ song as well as the song I always associated with my hubby and our exciting time living in Baltimore. We were young and fearless!

By the way, Jane, I look forward to reading Willoughby's Return!

delilah0810(at)yahoo(dot)com

Laura's Reviews said...

I love the music to Sense and Sensibility. It's also one of my favorite movies of all time!

A special piece of music to me is chop sticks. My great-grandma Kile taught me how to play it on the piano when I was little. She would play an accompiment and make me feel special. Now as I teach my three year old son Kile (named after my great-grandparents) how to play it on the piano, it always reminds me of her and her love for music.

Another special song is "Come What May" sung by Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman on Moulin Rouge. It was my husband and my first dance song at our wedding.

Thanks for the great contest!

laarlt78(at)hotmail(dot)com

Jane Odiwe said...

Thanks for stopping by and for your comments ladies!

I love Michael Jackson's songs - grew up with his music and saw him live twice. That's a great song choice - Man in the Mirror!

Ah, I could just picture you learning chopsticks! I loved Moulin Rouge - I've only got it on video and need it on DVD. One to add to the wishlist!

Alexa Adams said...

For all of us who have had a Willoughby in our life, the song "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man" from Showboat really hits home. Bjork did a wonderful, jazzy version of this tune that I absolutely adore. My last boyfriend before I met my husband was of the Willoughby model - our relationship was stormy, dramatic, totally self-destructive, and I was head over heels in love with him. He was precisely the dashing, romantic figure that young girls think they want until they grow up and learn that true happiness comes from the stability and loyalty that a Colonel Brandon offers.

Jane Odiwe said...

I think that's why Sense and Sensibility strikes a chord with so many people! Well, I'm glad you fund your Colonel Brandon - I'm certain your Willoughby still regrets you! Great song choice too!

julie henderson said...

my husband is a singer and i always love his songs but my favourite that get me every time is Enola Gay