Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A love of Costume - paintings from my sketchbook

This is very tenuously linked from my last post, but one of the exhibitions they had on at Chatsworth featured the costumes from 'The Duchess' which starred Keira Knightley and Dominic Cooper who we also know as Mr Willoughby, of course. I think this era and the Regency period have to be my favourite for costume - I'm not sure I would have enjoyed being trussed up in all that stuff on a daily basis, though when I was much younger, I did dress up in similar costumes for Fancy Dress parties. I've always loved dressing up!
The paintings I'm posting today came about after a trip to the Lakes. We visited Beatrix Potter's house at Hill Top and of course, I felt so inspired when I visited her husband's office where so many of her exquisite paintings are kept. Whilst I could never hope to aspire to Mrs Heelis's excellence with a brush, I hope you enjoy them. They are just a few of the paintings I did with a children's book in mind - never finished, but as with so many things, I probably got side-tracked!




10 comments:

AustenOnly said...

I love the Lakes and Beatrix Potter ( from birth it would seeem!).Hill Top is very atmospheric isnt it ?Love the illustrations ,Jane. :-)

Jane Odiwe said...

Thank you Julie,

I could have moved into Hill Top very easily, it felt very cosy! I've loved Beatrix Potter's books, (like most people) since I was very small, so it was such a treat to visit the house and all the places that she knew.
Thank you for visiting!

janeaustensworld said...

Jane, these are fabulous. Really well done and so very colorful. The colors are magical!

Charleybrown said...

Lovely illustrations! Do you have your plot thought out?

Jane Odiwe said...

Thank you ladies for your very kind words - the story is about Dizzie Lizzie - it's all in rhyme. She's a little girl who likes to be outside tumbling about instead of sitting doing embroidery. She has an adventure but spoils her new frock and loses her bonnet and shoes along the way!

Alexa Adams said...

I would love to read this book! Please let us know if you ever complete it.

Joan Ellen said...

Jane, these illustrations are absolutely delightful! They would be wonderful for a children's book - I do hope you will finish it!

Jane Odiwe said...

Thank you, Alexa and Joan Ellen - I will have to dig the rest out again and see if I can do anything with them - your praise means so much!

Emma Hox said...

Beatrix Potter is so wonderful. I have admired her forever.

Your images are so lovely. I adore the vibrant colors. They would be perfect for a children's book if you ever get around to it.

Jane Odiwe said...

Thank you Emma, I've always wanted to do a children's book - have started a few but have never seen them through.