Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Photos from my album! Chatsworth, Pride and Prejudice and Mr Darcy's Secret.


Here, for your delight is an extract from Pride and Prejudice with accompanying photos of Chatsworth! The weather was lovely up until the time I got the camera out - wouldn't you know. My sister and I visited Derbyshire last year all in pursuit of research - Mr Darcy's Secret is my next book which Sourcebooks are publishing next spring. We visited Bakewell and the surrounding area - I absolutely fell in love with Haddon Hall which became my inspiration for the house the Darcy's stay in on holiday in the Lake District. Oh, yes - Elizabeth had to see the Lakes at last! Anyway, here is Jane Austen's wonderful Pride and Prejudice - Lizzy is travelling with her aunt and uncle and sees Pemberley for the first time.

Elizabeth, as they drove along, watched for the first appearance of Pemberley Woods with some perturbation; and when at length they turned in at the lodge, her spirits were in a high flutter.

The park was very large, and contained great variety of ground. They entered it in one of its lowest points, and drove for some time through a beautiful wood stretching over a wide extent.

Elizabeth's mind was too full for conversation, but she saw and admired every remarkable spot and point of view. They gradually ascended for half a mile, and then found themselves at the top of a considerable eminence, where the wood ceased, and the eye was instantly caught by Pemberley House, situated on the opposite side of a valley, into which the road with some abruptness wound. It was a large, handsome stone building, standing well on rising ground, and backed by a ridge of high woody hills; and in front a stream of some natural importance was swelled into greater, but without any artificial appearance. Its banks were neither formal nor falsely adorned. Elizabeth was delighted. She had never seen a place for which nature had done more, or where natural beauty had been so little counteracted by an awkward taste. They were all of them warm in their admiration; and at that moment she felt that to be mistress of Pemberley might be something!


11 comments:

Alexa Adams said...

Again I find myself overwhelmed with jealousy at your travels but cannot wait to read the results in your description of the Lake District in the new book. When you say "next spring", do you mean 2010 or 2011? I think you've said before '11, but the language here gives me hope that the wait wont be quite so long.

Jane Odiwe said...

Oh, Alexa, I wish you could come on your travels with me - I know you'd love it all.
I'm afraid it's Spring 2011 - I know it's a long time to wait but I might be able to whet your appetite with a sneak peek in my next post.

etirv said...

Hi Jane, thanks for sharing these photos! So beautiful and just so different from Hawaii!

Emma Hox said...

Jane,
Lovely images from your travels, i can not wait until you next book comes out and I get to read the results of them.

Jane Odiwe said...

Thank you for all your really lovely and very kind comments - I can't wait for my book to come out either, but meanwhile, I'm very busy writing a new one!

Sandra said...

Just found your blog today, I'm a huge Jane Austen fan and I've had my eye on your book "Willoughby's Return", I'm definitely picking it up this weekend and reading, I can not wait :)

Jane Odiwe said...

Hello Sandra,
Thank you so much for stopping by to say hi - I hope you enjoy Willoughby's Return!

Meredith said...

I'm so glad Lizzy gets to go to the Lake District and I look forward to reading about it in your book! Can't wait, Spring 2011 does seem far away!

Jane Odiwe said...

Hi Meredith - yes, unless you can persuade my publisher to bring it out sooner, we'll have to be patient! Thank you for your kind comments.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
Thanks for those beautiful pictures of Chatsworth. Reminds me of my own visit there when I was doing my first degree in Leeds many years ago. Eventhough you looked cold in your pictures, the memories of the place have left a tingling warmth for me, and that's not just because im living in the Tropics. Thanks again.
Love
Rezza

Jane Odiwe said...

I'm glad you enjoyed them Rezza - I have to say that despite the rain we had a wonderful few days in Derbyshire. The day before this picture was taken the sun had been out - in fact, I think it had been in the morning. Typically, we'd left the camera behind the day before - and on this particular day, it seemed as if the sun decided to retire the moment we started taking shots. Ah well, we'll just have to go again another day!