Skip to main content

Lydia introduces her sisters, Jane, Lizzy, Mary and Kitty Bennet!

Lydia Bennet's Online Diary.
At this time of the year I always read Pride and Prejudice and I thought it would be fun to see what Lydia is thinking about all the goings on at Longbourn. Lydia's online diary starts just before Mr Bingley arrives and finishes where my novel, Lydia Bennet's Story, begins.


Tuesday, September 22nd 1801

I, Lydia Marianne Bennet, have decided this day to record the fortunes and adventures which so oft befall a young lady in a country village, namely, those of yours truly - though truth to tell, Longbourn is as dull as ditchwater and as yet, my escapades have been few and far between! I live in Longbourn, near Meryton, ( a vastly entertaining place) and have two parents still living and the blessing of sibling love; four elder sisters, Jane, Elizabeth, Mary and Kitty, whom I greatly esteem, despite their resolution to instruct me in all concerns and meddle in my affairs.

Jane is considered the beauty of the family, but for all her curls and dimples has not an ardent beau at present. I am sure if I had her eyelashes I would make better use of them, but then, I daresay she wishes she had my particular talents for attracting the men. I am too modest to say how successful I am when it comes to catching the eye of a likely gentleman, but my sister Kitty says I am unsurpassed!

Elizabeth is very handsome, not pretty as such, but she has a very engaging open face and a lively mind, which makes her attractive to many young men, though she has not yet appealed enough to anyone who is looking for a wife. I daresay she will soon enough, she is a very determined character - when she sets her mind to something, there is no stopping her!

How do I describe Mary? I think perhaps if I say she is a most accomplished young woman, that will suffice for now. She can play the pianoforte tolerably well, she draws and paints quite to a standard and reads constantly. If I tell you that her favourite books are all learned tomes and that she positively relishes Fordyce's Sermons, (she has never heard of 'The Black Veil'!!!) I think you may get a picture of Mary.

Kitty is my dearest and sweetest sister. She is next to me in age, though others will tell you that they always assume I am the elder of the two, which you may imagine vexes her sorely. We share all our confidences and I would not betray my sister's secrets for a king's ransom. No one knows she is in love with the baker's boy. Well, it does not signify, I doubt he knows of her existence!

As for myself, I long to be in love, but unless my elder sisters have their luck soon with a couple of beaux, I daresay I shall be long left on the shelf. It is so unfair - to be endowed with such talents and attractions as mine, with no chance to exhibit - no doubt, I shall end an old maid!

Lydia Bennet