Skip to main content

The Women's Institute, Hove Actually and Jane Austen

A huge thank you to all the lovely ladies of Hove Actually W.I. who gave me such a warm welcome last night. I gave a talk on Jane Austen, Lydia Bennet and the ups and downs of trying to become a published author, from self-publishing to realising my dream with Sourcebooks Inc. It was lovely to hear that I might have inspired one or two people to try writing a book. I think quite a few of the ladies have thought that they would like to have a go but have not felt brave enough to make a start. It's a bit like I sometimes feel when faced with a blank canvas-you have to make that first mark, which is always the hardest.
Before I set off yesterday on the train from Victoria I felt quite nervous. A well-meaning friend had said, "Don't worry, they won't be listening to you, they'll be waiting for the tea at the end. Imagine my delight, when at the end of the evening not tea was produced but glasses of wine. Definitely a group of ladies after my own heart! It was a fun evening and I met so many interesting people.
For more information on the W.I. click here
Hove Actually W.I. are quite a newly formed group and welcome new members.