Skip to main content

Elizabeth Bennet refuses Mr Darcy!

Lydia Bennet's Online Diary.
At this time of the year I always read Pride and Prejudice and I thought it would be fun to see what Lydia is thinking about all the goings on at Longbourn. Lydia's online diary starts just before Mr Bingley arrives and finishes where my novel, Lydia Bennet's Story, begins.


Friday, November 6th, 1801

We attended an evening party at Lucas Lodge tonight. Kitty and I were never without a partner - my satin slippers are worn into shreds! I wore my sprigged muslin with a pink ribbon sash and was delighted with my looks as were several gentlemen of my acquaintance. Captain Carter admired my gown excessively, indeed, he scarce took his eyes off me for the entire evening. I declare he is quite smitten!
Mr Darcy spent all his time staring at Elizabeth.

He had the audacity to ask her to dance but I am glad to note that she refused him. Jane and Bingley spent the whole evening looking into one another’s eyes - mama has them married off already and is planning the happy event.

Sunday, November 8th, 1801

After church, Kitty and I visited Aunt Philips to become more acquainted with some of the officers. Mr Denny and Mr Pratt are so sweet and Captain Carter is so dashing, I think it likely I may fall in love with him, although Catherine insists that as she is my elder she is entitled to have first choice and has declared that she is in love with him. I do not care what she says, for his partiality is very clear to me. I think Captain Carter is one of the most handsome men I have ever set eyes on!

Tuesday, November 10th, 1801

Any hopes of meeting with Capt. C were dashed when Jane received a note from Miss Bingley, asking her to dine with her and her sister Louisa and informing her also that Charles Bingley and the gentlemen were to dine with the officers. Jane was not allowed the carriage and made to go on horseback, for my mother thought as rain looked imminent this would keep her at Netherfield for the night. Sometimes, my mother displays a remarkable and devious level of cunning behaviour, quite beyond what one would expect. I daresay my hints to her will have given her some ideas. Poor Jane had not been gone long when the heavens opened and it seems there is no end to the deluge.
Mama fetched out the workbox and Kitty and I were given papa’s shirts to mend. What does he do to fray his cuffs so? He should refrain from scribbling curt messages to me with ceaseless errands to the wine merchant. That might remedy his chafed sleeves. Lord! How tiresome it is to sew. When I am married, I shall not make my daughters demean themselves in such a fashion. Besides, because it was so dark with rain, we were forced to squint so much that I should not be surprised if I were prematurely blinded as a consequence!
We do not expect to see Jane back again this evening. Mama’s plan is to succeed.
How I long to see Capt. C.
Mrs Lydia Carter - there - that looks very well!

Lydia Bennet

Illusrations:

Lydia in sprigged muslin, Jane Odiwe
Elizabeth, Sir William Lucas and Mr Darcy by Charles Brock
Jane Bennet on horseback in the rain by Charles Brock