Skip to main content

Colonel Forster has some surprising news!

Lydia Bennet's Online Diary.
At this time of the year I always read Pride and Prejudice and I thought it would be fun to see what Lydia is thinking about all the goings on at Longbourn. Lydia's online diary starts just before Mr Bingley arrives and finishes where my novel, Lydia Bennet's Story, begins.


Saturday, November 14th 1801

What a delightful day we have spent and what news I have to tell. If I were not sworn to secrecy, I might burst with the delicious knowledge of it all. We set forth into Meryton as soon as ever we could and found our friends in tremendous good spirits. As we approached the steps of Mrs Nicolson’s elegant lodgings, Colonel Forster emerged from the door, followed closely by Isabella, who was wishing him farewell. He clasped Isabella’s hand in his, raised it to his lips, bowed and set off jauntily down the High Street, declaring that he would call again tomorrow.

Once inside, I quite forgot myself and begged to know what had caused such animation in the manner of Colonel Forster.
“I have a younger sister Harriet,” Isabella began, “who was at school with Colonel Forster’s sister, Jane. Harriet has often been in the habit of staying with the Forster’s at their house in Bath. During the summer, Colonel Forster was inclined to spend a lot of his time accompanying his sister and mine to all kinds of amusements in and around Bath. They live in Sydney Place you know, opposite the celebrated gardens and this is the best part, for it has turned out to be the scene of their romance!”

“Colonel Forster and your sister Harriet?” Kitty and I cried in unison together.
Isabella nodded. “The gardens are very romantic and the musical concerts are second to none. There is nothing like music for stirring the senses and there are many dark corners where a maid might be begged for a kiss! Besides, I have seen Henry’s name written so many times in my sister’s letters these last months that I was not at all surprised. I think I knew she was in love before she did.”

“And is there anything else to tell?” I asked, eager for more of this sweet tale.

“Well, they have written to each other everyday since the Colonel came to Meryton and two days ago Henry proposed to my sister by letter and she accepted him by return of post. They hope to be married in the spring.”

“How I long to meet your sister, what a romantic story, fancy the Colonel being in love!” I cried.

We are so excited at the thought of a wedding and a new bride in Meryton!

Lydia Bennet

Illustrations: Temple by Jane Odiwe, Photograph of a bridge in Sydney Gardens, Bath, An old print showing a Regency proposal