Skip to main content

Charlotte Lucas and Mr Collins!

Lydia Bennet's Online Diary.
At this time of the year I always read Pride and Prejudice and I thought it would be fun to see what Lydia is thinking about all the goings on at Longbourn. Lydia's online diary starts just before Mr Bingley arrives and finishes where my novel, Lydia Bennet's Story, begins.

Thursday, December 17th, 1801

The village of Longbourn are united in their condemnation of Mr Darcy and Mr Wickham is deservedly feted wherever he goes. He is in great demand for every social event and although he is clearly partial to our company here, it has sometimes proved difficult to secure him for every soiree. Mama has invited him and some of the officers for an evening party tonight and we are all looking forward to seeing them. Isabella and Diana will of course be included and I think Captain Carter is hardly likely to stay away.

Mama has been obliged to extend the invitation to the Lucases as Mr Collins is still here. I do wish he would go home. Despite the fact that he spends a large portion of the day with Charlotte, he is always turning up when you least want him and I have already been scolded for speaking ill of Lady Catherine’s nephew. You would think Mr Darcy shared his own blood from the ranting that ensued. My mother has cautioned me to watch my tongue, adding that she does not care two straws for Lady Catherine, her relations or clergymen but in the interests of a quiet evening, it would perhaps be better if I were to refrain mentioning Mr Darcy and his family in front of Mr Collins.

I am to wear an altered pink silk gown of mama’s, which I have persuaded her to give me. It flatters my figure so nicely that I am sure of it captivating an entire regiment!

Lydia Bennet