Skip to main content

A Love Triangle!

Lydia Bennet's Online Diary.
At this time of the year I always read Pride and Prejudice and I thought it would be fun to see what Lydia is thinking about all the goings on at Longbourn. Lydia's online diary starts just before Mr Bingley arrives and finishes where my novel, Lydia Bennet's Story, begins.

Friday, December 11th, 1801

Aunt Philips was very pleased to see us this afternoon but she said it was a pity we had not called before noon, as we had just missed Colonel Forster, Miss Fitzalan, Miss Cavendish, Mr Wickham and Captain Carter. When we expressed our great disappointment at not seeing them, she said that they had not stayed long, as the ladies had some shopping to do in town and the gentlemen had their business to attend.

“They came in, said, ‘how d’ye do’ and sat only for five minutes, but were full of you and Kitty.”

“What did Captain Carter and Mr Wickham have to say?” I asked as soon as I could interrupt.

“They are very pleasant and attentive young men and always put one at one’s ease,” enthused my aunt who clearly had taken no notice of my question. “Captain Carter tells the most amusing tales and is such a tease, is he not?”

“Did he mention that he had seen us lately? Did he remark on how well we were looking?” I demanded.

“As I recall, you did crop up in conversation but only indirectly. Mr Wickham remarked that he had heard that you have a fine voice, Lydia, and that he is longing to hear you sing. Captain Carter merely replied that he knew not of any of your accomplishments, but had heard Miss Cavendish’s voice as he had passed by Mrs Nicolson’s window whilst walking through town. Now what do you think of this? He added that she has the voice of an angel and that he has scarce ever witnessed such a heavenly sound in all his born days, to which Miss Cavendish protested that he flattered her too much. Indeed, she hinted that Captain Carter was making quite a habit of flattering her excessively and on too many occasions. What think you of that, Lydia? Is there some love in this case? Do you think the Captain has designs on Miss Fitzalan?”

“Oh no, aunt,” I implored, “I do not think there is any attraction between the Captain and Diana. Indeed, it is very clear that he has no inclination in that direction, would you not agree, Kitty?”

“I could not say,” smirked Kitty with a teasing look in my direction. “Besides, Mr Wickham is my choice, he is far more gentleman-like; you cannot really prefer Captain Carter to Mr Wickham, can you, Lydia?”

“It is not a case of preferring one gentlemen over the other,” I replied, “they both have their merits, both are good looking, witty and charming, but Captain Carter has been particularly attentive lately and I must own I cannot help liking a man who says pretty things to me. I admit I like to be flattered, to be told I am beauty, that I dance like a goddess and such-like and so for the present the Captain has my preference, but should Mr Wickham ever choose to pay court, I am sure I would not be indifferent to him either!”

“Lydia!” shouted Kitty and Aunt Phillips in unison.

“You are a wicked girl but you amuse me greatly. What your mother would say on the matter I do not know!” exclaimed my aunt.

“Well, on that score I do know, for mama has told me that as a young girl she was not only in love with Colonel Miller but a handsome Captain in the militia too and if our father had never come to pay court, she would probably still be dithering between them,” I retorted.

Kitty and I took our leave shortly after this revelation, which had produced more hilarity, although my aunt declared that she had known something of the case at the time and had suspected a love triangle of sorts. We left in high spirits, at the idea of papa being the suitor to charge in and sweep our mother off her feet!

Lydia Bennet