Skip to main content

A Merry Party with Captain Carter!

Lydia Bennet's Online Diary.
At this time of the year I always read Pride and Prejudice and I thought it would be fun to see what Lydia is thinking about all the goings on at Longbourn. Lydia's online diary starts just before Mr Bingley arrives and finishes where my novel, Lydia Bennet's Story, begins.
Friday, December 18th, 1801
We had a merry party last night, although to say the truth there were some tense moments, which threatened to dispel the party atmosphere. My mother barely had a word to say to the Lucas family and to make matters worse Sir William and Lady Lucas were congeniality itself. It was left to papa and Aunt Philips to smooth the waters and on the whole I think they succeeded. Poor Charlotte was completely snubbed by mama and whenever the lovers were seen to be whispering together, my mother loudly pronounced that she expected they were making a close study of her drawing room in order to draw up plans for its alteration.

How handsome the officers were last night, so charming, and all such great flirts that I really had to have my wits about me. I wish Lizzy were not so partial to Mr Wickham, however, I hardly got my chance to speak to him.
I observed the Captain and Diana closely all evening and I am now assured that there is no affection in the case whatsoever, in fact they scarce spoke a word to each other. Diana did not seem to seek out his company, indeed, she completely ignored our handsome Captain.

Mary played the pianoforte, as all evenings of any worth must have some dancing. Kitty danced with Denny on several occasions but she is quite silly at times, smirking at me every time Captain Carter linked onto me or made any special attention to me as we went down the set. But I suppose it must be very obvious how much he admires me! As we galloped down the length of the room he whispered that there is nothing he enjoys more than to watch me dancing with such spirit and declared that I am a very pretty girl! He said he hopes he shall have the pleasure of dancing with me repeated often during the festive season. I agreed wholeheartedly, adding that my hopes entirely matched his own!!

Kitty plagued me to death when everyone had gone home and after she confided that Denny had tried to steal a kiss in the parlour, for which she gave him short shrift, I told her I thought I was falling in love with Richard Carter and that he clearly felt the same, to which she replied that she thought it most likely that with all the attention that we receive wherever we go, that we shall be married to rich men before any of our sisters!

Lydia Bennet