Skip to main content

Elizabeth Bennet sets off for London and Hunsford

Lydia Bennet's Online Diary.
At this time of the year I always read Pride and Prejudice and I thought it would be fun to see what Lydia is thinking about all the goings on at Longbourn. Lydia's online diary starts just before Mr Bingley arrives and finishes where my novel, Lydia Bennet's Story, begins.


Monday, March 8th, 1802
Lizzy set off for Hunsford today with Sir William Lucas and his daughter Maria. They are all gone to see how Charlotte does - I do hope married life is suiting her, but I would bet all my ivory fish that she has exchanged her glowing bridal fervour for a haunted countenance and a sombre disposition.
Most vexing is the knowledge that they are to break their journey in London to call on the Gardiners to see Jane and will, no doubt, find time to go shopping and have a pleasant evening’s entertainment at the theatre. How I long to go shopping in London. I can’t even get as far as Ware! When I am a married lady, my daughters will have numerous carriages at their disposal, at any time of the year, for travelling on any state of road and in any weather!!
I have had a letter from Emma N. inviting Kitty and I to a reception for Harriet on Saturday, as she is very keen to meet us and will have no other acquaintance in Meryton apart from her dear Henry and the Miss Harrington’s who are distant cousins. I do wonder if she looks like Isabella and I sincerely wish she is as much fun. Lord! I hope she is as handsome and agreeable.
On reflection I am convinced, that no matter what her physical attractions may or may not be, she must surely be a woman of fashion and sensibility. I will take care to dress myself in my best cambric muslin, crimson mantle and velvet bonnet!